Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Yes, No, Wait?

Do you ever find yourself frustrated by your lack of movement? Lack of progress in the forward direction? That's me today. Feeling confused and a *bit* discouraged by my lack of discipline to start making things happen. But there's a balance in life in regards to that "making things happen", isn't there?! If we try too hard, we become too self-involved and, usually, a bit full-of-ourselves. On the other hand, if we dont' try hard enough, we come across as lazy (as though we don't want it enough to make it happen!). Ugh. I'm so there...hanging in the balance of not trying enough and trying too hard. Knowing when to go head on running toward a goal and when to lay low and let God open the doors. It's kind of a waiting game. Making sure my ears are open and ready to hear any of [God's] responses to my incessant asking, "Why? When? Where?"

I can remember back when I was in Jr. High Sunday School being taught this lesson by Mr. & Mrs. Wills. God's answers to our requests are always 1 of 3 answers:
*Yes
*No
*Wait

I love that "Maybe" was not in the mix of answers. In fact, I don't think God's answer to any of our needs is ever "Maybe". God is not a God of confusion and indecisiveness (unlike the wishy-washy word, "Maybe"). If I truly believe that, then His answer to my dreams, goals and aspirations isn't "Maybe".

It might be "Yes", though. And if it is? Then my responsibility to to walk boldly and confidently through the door that's been opened for me.

However, it might be "No". And if it is? Well, then I need to refocus and regroup; get past the initial sting of discouragement and move forward, keeping my eyes and ears opened for the next door. Maybe even seek advice from a pastor, mentor or counselor to help me identify where I "steered off" track in regards to my goals. It's easy to want to be good a something, but it may not be an area God's gifted us in. Time to refocus.

Lastly, the answer might be "Wait". And if it is? Then patience and perseverance is KEY! If you're anything like me, the "Wait" answer is the toughest! It's the most out of my hands. It requires the most diligence and persistence. Wanna know a fun fact? I searched for the word "wait" in an online bible site and there were 135 verses pertaining to this very word! Some of the most well-known verses on waiting are found in Psalms, but here are some unusual references that really spoke to me this afternoon:

"I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."" - Lamentations 3:24

"For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay." - Habakkuk 2:3

"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." - Micah 7:7

"But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." - Romans 8:25

Oh, Lord...help me to have the attitude of "it is well with my soul" whatever Your answer is to my needs and desires. I know Your ways are best! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment