Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pushing Past Unhappy

Bear with me for a moment...as this post is almost meant to be solely "regaining sanity" purposes :). For those that enjoy writing, you'll relate to me when I say, this post is therapeutic. Have I lost you yet?!?


Lately, I've been unhappy in a particular area of my life. Ok, it's not a secret, so I'll just spit it out. I'm struggling with my current job. And for those of you who have gone through rough patches in your workplace, you know how tiring it can be-emotionally, mentally and even spiritually. It's no one's fault, but it happens sometimes that we find ourselves in a place where we no longer feel like ourselves - we live and learn from these experiences, that's for sure!


Honestly, it has more to do with feeling unsettled, than being unhappy. As humans, we thrive in areas that are healthy, happy, and fulfilling. But when we find ourselves in a place where we feel the opposite, what are we to do? I don't know about you, but my first reaction is to RUN! I'm a pretty non-confrontational kinda gal, so in my mind, it would be much easier to stay in bed and not face it...right?!? ;) Unfortunately, that's not how it works. I'm thinking back to a post I wrote a few months back about what to do when the "enemy" is after you. I was inspired by the story in Exodus where Moses instructs the Israelites by saying, "...you need only to be still." It's what I've felt the Lord instructing me to do as well in this uncomfortable time; and yet it's the ONE THING I'm not good at. Be still. I can't sit still...I always have to be doing "something". Cooking, cleaning, laundry, cleaning, dishes, cleaning :) Most of the time though, I find I'm not really being productive. I'm just wandering around the house with a sense of urgency to get things done. It's quite humorous to me even now as I'm writing it out. Can you relate?


But as I practice being still, I'm reminded of God's unfailing faithfulness through every season of life-the happy and the unhappy. The dark valleys and the high mountain-tops.


There is a line from a worship song called, "The Desert Song" that I love. It says,


"All of my life, in every season...You are still God...I have a reason to sing...I have a reason to worship!"


Practically, there are many things I can do to push past this "unhappy" place and get myself to a better one...but getting my mind and heart spiritually in the right place is most important. We never know why trials come our way - but we do know from Scripture, that trials and valleys and struggles are opportunities for us to CLING to our Heavenly Father. To stand firm and hold on to the faithfulness of God, to test and prove His unfailing love, to become more mature - I want all of those things, don't you?


My heart is full. I'm ready to push past the unhappy and into a fullness of joy as God guides me through and past this season and into whatever is ahead!



























From Blog Signature

1 comment:

  1. A great reminder to cling to our Heavenly Father through the tough times. I always enjoy your posts and the insights they give me. I can't wait to hear how He will lead you through this rough patch. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete