Monday, September 26, 2011

God's Story, Not Mine

The beauty of a blog to me is, as you have things to share, there is a place to share it. So here I am, with a bit to share and I don't really even know how to start! :) When I first started composing this entry, I had "Oh goodness" as my first 2 words. I quickly realized that was way over-dramatic and decided to go a different route. You're welcome. ;)

These past few weeks I have been in the midst of a contest. I don't usually have the chance to listen to Spirit 105.3 (I'm rarely in the car-and even then it's for a few short minutes!). I heard through a friend about a contest they were having for local artists. Last year they had the same contest and I entered a song I wrote, but didn't get chosen to go on to the next round. No hard feelings (ok, maybe a little sting...) but nothing lost in entering, right?! So this year rolls around and like I said, a friend mentioned it to me. What do I do after hearing about it? I forget. Not like I don't have anything else to think about...


So the day before the contest entry deadline, I find myself scrambling. I didn't want to enter the same song I had the year before (the one that didn't get chosen)! I had just begun to learn GarageBand-a program that comes standard on our Mac computer. It is quite the program and has TONS of options for at home recording...if you can figure it out! Thankfully, I'm married to a sound man (which is quite useful as a singer!)...so he helped me out...big time! Thanks babe!

So he & I worked in our "spare time" over the next day getting the song to the best place we could get it in that short of time. I was satisfied with it and by that point was just ready to get it out of my hands! ;) So about an hour short of the entry deadline, the song was finally submitted! Talk about cutting it close...!

A week went by...a long week...and finally it was Friday! I was sitting at my desk. For those of you who don't know, I work a front desk job every afternoon at a local engineering firm. The firm is small & quiet. Very quiet. Well, I saw a call coming through to my phone, but I couldn't answer it-cause it's quiet, remember? It didn't even cross my mind that this local number would be the station calling me-otherwise I would have answered!!! But thankfully, they also emailed the Top 10 finalists as well. So here I was sitting at my desk, literally squeeling (internally)! I couldn't hold it in-I had to call Ryan. So I went into the restroom and called him-it was kinda like a movie... :)

That was just a little over 2 weeks ago. What a roller coaster.

Longest. Two. Weeks. Ever.

And honestly, it was emotional. You are so excited and want to share your news with everyone, but fear you'll annoy people in the process. You want to be confindent in the areas you know you're talented in, but don't want to come across as arrogant and self-centered...

Thankfully, there's the impersonal, yet way too personal, facebook. It allowed me to tell people about it and not be too obtrusive :)...

So here I am. I made it past the Top 10 and into the Top 6. I will now go head-to-head against what I consider to be the toughest compeditor: Puyallup Fourquare's, Generation Youth Band. But, I will keep my head held high and continue to take one step at a time, walking boldly and confidently!

I hesitated to even share this as a blog post, but it's kind of a fun story to tell, so I went for it! My prayer through this whole thing has been and will continue to be this:

"God, you are the One writing my story. Forgive me if I try and take over. Your will not mine, Your plans not mine."

Follow along with the contest on Spirit1053.com

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you Emily! And I love your prayer... it is one I need to adopt at times!

    ReplyDelete