Sunday, March 27, 2011

Legacy

Life is so fragile. So fleeting. Time passes quickly while we wished it moved slowly. I remember being in grade school and wishing I could be an "adult". Couldn't wait to get married, have kids, be my own boss :), drive a car, stay up late...you know what I mean. Here I am, almost 27 (still young, yes, I know) but I find myself wishing I could slow time down a few notches. Sleep in, not have any bills to pay, no cares in the world other than what homework assignment I had procrastinated...and so on! Again, you know what I mean :).


I wanted to post this picture-it's really quite special. It's of my Grandparents and my brother & sister-in-law's baby, Katherine Joy. We were able to host a baby shower for them a few months back. We were unsure if Grandpa would be able to join us as his health had been deteriorating. But like the amazingly strong man he was, he came. Face smiling despite the internal pain we all knew he was feeling. He had to be there. He lived for these moments. We all knew what joy was brought to him when he was able to hold sweet Katherine. When you're at a stage of life like he was (not knowing if it was going to be your last chance to hug or kiss your loved ones) you made the most of it. And we made the most of these times too. A few weeks ago, Grandpa went to be with Jesus. In the quiet of an evening, as those gathered softly sang some of his favorite hymns, he slipped peacefully into eternity with his Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ. Into Heaven, where he now is rejoicing, singing, laughing, probably fixing something, and no longer in pain!


On Saturday, we celebrated his life with a memorial service. It was wonderful-truly an extention of himself. At one point in the service, a fire chief presented my Grandma with his fire-fighting helmet: #32. At another point, his 5 children each spoke of the love & dedication he had towards not only his family, but his community. He was truly an unsung hero who was finally being "sung" about. What a perfect place to do so, as we remembered his life-and what a beautiful legacy he left. I hope I can leave a legacy like his.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Emily. I am in tears as I read this and remember my dear grandparents who also left a legacy of Christ's love in all they came into contact with. I am sorry for your loss but how amazing for your Grandfather to be rejoicing Jesus and no longer in pain. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete