Sunday, November 21, 2010

What Is Worship?

I've been wrestling with some thoughts on worship today. Trying to figure out if what the Lord is challenging me with is just for me, or if it's something for us all. By this blog post, I guess you can tell I'm prompted to share my convictions and just allow the Lord to do His part in your life from here :).

As I sat down for my devotion time this morning, I'll sheepishly admit, I just thumbed through the Bible to a Psalm and started reading. No rhyme or reason, but I always can count on Psalms-you know what I mean? I've always wished I was better at sticking to a Bible reading plan, but for now, I'm a bit of a "Scanner of Scripture". Anyways, despite my lack of reading structure, the Lord is always faithful to reveal something to me-be it small or bit, one verse or many. Today was this:

"Come, let's shout praises to God, raise the roof for the Rock who saved us!
Let's march into his presence singing praises,
lifting the rafters with our hymns!
3-5 And why? Because God is the best,
High King over all the gods.
In one hand he holds deep caves and caverns,
in the other hand grasps the high mountains.
He made Ocean—he owns it!
His hands sculpted Earth!
6-7 So come, let us worship: bow before him,
on your knees before God, who made us!
Oh yes, he's our God,
and we're the people he pastures, the flock he feeds."
- Psalm 98: 1-7

As I read this I wondered, "Why don't I SHOUT praises to God? Or RAISE THE ROOF for the Rock who saved me? Or MARCH into His presence singing praises?" Why does our worship today look so different from how David describes it over and over again in the Psalms?

My conclusion?

We're too scared.

Scared of what though?

Scared of looking dumb.

Even now as I type that I realize how selfish of an answer that really is. I've now made worshipping the King of Kings & Creator of the universe all about me...my wants...my fears...my worries...my agenda. Worship should not be boxed in by a denomination or music style. Worship is worship. Now that doesn't mean worship is always shouting or marching. Somehow we've associated those actions to denominations-saying, "Oh, well, that's what crazy Pentecostals do." Or, "Because I'm a Baptist, I don't raise my hands in worship."

Let's cut that stuff out, friends! Let's stop making worship so inward focused. If we truly desired to worship our Creator for who He is, I don't think we'd be hung up by our own insecurities, pre-conceived notions & denominational boundaries. Worship is such a sacred and holy time for us as believers to thank the Lord, love on the Lord, praise Him for what He's done in & through us...and in turn...be changed from the inside out.

I bet each of us can name one (or even many) times when in the presence of the Lord we had a life-altering encounter with Him. You know that time, don't you? Those times are unforgettable! But those times were not times when you stood with your body's demeanor closed off and shut down...those were times where you allowed the Lord to speak to you by opening yourself up to Him-whether by bowing down, stretching your arms up to Him in surrender or opening your mouth, even if just a little. Worship IS a two-way street. Yes, He can speak to us even in times where we don't expect Him to, but I know that once His voice reaches your heart, you're forever changed!

So let me challenge you, as I'm being challenged myself, to stop making worship about doing this or not doing that...let's JUST WORSHIP. "In Spirit & in truth", right?! Be blessed as you challenge yourself to begin to step out of your comfort zone and into His freedom in worship!

"I come with open arms, reaching for where You are
Just a glimpse of Your face, & forever I'm changed...
You see me as I am, broken with empty hands
Pour generously, & forever I'm changed..."

No comments:

Post a Comment