Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Little Spray Paint Does the Trick!

Ok, so I've been MIA for a while. A LONG while :). We had a very FULL summer: we moved. Enough said, right?!? Now that life has settled a bit and the girls are back in school, I find myself with some time on my hands (not too much!), but just enough to begin working on some crafting/DIY ideas. A new space is really inspiring to have the chance to start over and re-work your furniture and home decor in new ways. Which leads me to my latest obsession...SPRAY PAINT! It is an extremely easy way to give life to an item at very little cost! My local Home Depot has a pretty good variety of colors to choose from. My fave line is the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover spray paints. For less than $4/can, it really is a great way to go! It has great coverage and doesn't take more than 1 or 2 coats (depending on the original color of the item you're repainting). Plus it works great on wood, metal or plastic! 

All of the items I repainted where things I had on-hand and had been hoping to do something with or was going to get rid of. Here's some of my recent projects!

 A tired black candlestick got a fresh, beachy look with only 1 coat of the color "Moss" (Satin finish)
Found in our old attic, these unfinished shutters are now a gorgeous shade of "Colonial Red" (Satin). I added some self-leveling sawtooth hangers to the backs (found at Bartell Drugs) and hung them in the dining room. I'm super excited for the Christmas season cause I'm gonna put greeting cards in between the slats! *I'll post a pic of it when it's got a few! 
 An antique berry-picking flat got a light coat of "Moss" and is currently the home of a few autumn beauties :)
These wood frames were painted by my friend Birdie. The blue is "Slate" and the white is "Heirloom White" (both Satin finish).  Neither frame had the glass, so I took a few corkboard flooring squares and cut them to fit the frame opening. I secured them with hot glue-although I'm sure there are other glues that would work! 

What do you have lying around the house that you could give new life to with a quick coat of spray paint?  The ideas are endless! 


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE spray paint too- it's so easy to update things with a coat of paint!
    We have this old ugly dresser in our room right now that is just begging for a coat of glossy white spray paint, I just need to head over to the hardware store and get some paint! Love those transformations, especially the candlestick! :)

    ReplyDelete