Sunday, February 21, 2010

There's a Song In My Heart...

I've struggled to answer a question in my life pertaining to the songs I've written and my singing: How much do I "put myself out there" before it becomes all about me and not about God? As a singer, I've encountered many a fellow songbird who has struggled with this very concept. As a Christian, how do I remain humble yet share my gift unabandonedly (not a real word according to spell check, but it's makes sense in my head!) with the world. Because if I truly believe that God gave me the gift of music, then shouldn't I be eager to share it with those around me? And honestly, it's a very cool way to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and what He's done in my life. Each song the Lord gives me is simply an overflow of something He's doing in my life at the time or the way I feel about Him - so how do I go about giving back this precious gift without coming across as arrogant or self-promoting?

I feel like one of the luckiest girls around that I can say I've had a lifetime of amazing opportunities to share my gift of singing. I was just telling my parents last night how grateful I am that people invested time and energy into "bringing me up" as a singer. Instructing me, allowing me to sharpen my gift. And not just me, thankfully! Growing up, I was surrounded by awesome singers - starting with my best friend, Rebecca. We even wrote songs together! Classics for sure! And there was Kelli & Nicholette...what great times! We grew up in a fairly small church on Whidbey Island. But quickly into our Jr. High-High School years, a man named Rob thought we were capable of putting together a youth worship band...and low and behold, we did it! Our pastor was even gracious enough to allow us opportunities to lead worship on a few Sunday mornings - we were blessed to have people surrounding us who believed in us! Man am I grateful for those times...

So here I am, 25-year-old-mom-of-twins. Did I miss something? Did I miss my chance to be something greater? Nah...the Lord knew I wasn't cut out for being a professional singer. Just watching Hollywood Week on American Idol confirms that! (I have serious anxiety just imagining what that week would do to little ol me!) Anyways, all that to say, it's just not in me. The drive, the passion for that lifestyle. But what is in me is writing music. I've been writing songs since I was a freshman in high school. Looking back on some of those first songs I wrote I cringe (and laugh). They sound so ridiculous...however, they were from the heart, so I won't discredit what the Lord was doing in my life then! : ) Through High School I continued to write and I even had the chance to record some of my favorites. Nothing special - in fact it was literally in my basement, recorded through our karaoke machine...one word - yikes! Kidding Dad...! My brother on acoustic guitar and my Dad on keyboard, we had one take to get the entire song down and somehow we ended up with something decent. I sold the cd to raise money for my tour with the Continental Singers after High School. All in all, that recording experience was huge for me and taught me so much about myself.

So I say all that to conclude with this...I am going to go out on a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE limb. For those of you who know me well, you know this is uncharacteristic of me, but I feel the Lord challenging me, so here I go.........(turn up the volume but not too loud in case you're in your office and turn off your itunes : )........


No bells, no whistles...just the overflow of my heart that I felt the Lord asked me to be willing to share with you. May the Lord fill you with joy and hope wherever you are in life, love and other mysteries (heehee, I just couldn't help it...thanks a lot Point of Grace!)

Sincerely and humbly,

Emily

*Lights: A gift from Katy : )
*Hair & Makeup: What?!

10 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me...seriously! This song is incredible and I think it's extremely clear that this isn't something you do to bring recognition to yourself. Instead, you turn it all back to the Lord. You repeatedly bless those in your life (myself included) with your talents.

    If you don't mind, I would love to post a link on my blog to this. Perhaps some of the folks in my life (or blog world) would appreciate what God has given you as well. :)

    I love you lots, sis! Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it!! I still have the that CD that you made, its actually on my itunes..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and voice. You can't go wrong if your eyes are fixed on Him at all times. Sing away girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your song today after a little blog hopping, and I have to tell you that you've blessed me beyong measure this morning. My husband and I have been struggling with infertility, and the song in your heart has the same words as the one in mine... you just sing it MUCH better :) Thank you for going out on a limb to share your gift, and for blessing me - a complete stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Sweet Emily.....You must share your gift with others as the Lord leads...YOU have been given a great gift and wonderful spirit....I am excited to see how the Lord uses you in these next years....I will tell you I love the song and even more your heart........Thank you for blessing me........Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily, I listened to this after my friend Anne raved about it on her blog. BEAUTIFUL. What an amazing song! Have you ever thought seriously about getting your songs out there? I think you should. They would bless so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your incredibly kind words of encouragement! The Lord has done a great work in my heart by stepping out and posting the song here! Now I'm just trusting the Lord that He'll lead me to the next step. I hope to record the song in March - I'll keep you all posted! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em...#1, why didn't you tell me you had a blog. #2, that song is A-Mazing!! Really...wow. I really don't know that anyone could sing that song as good as you.

    Love you friend, and honored to know you.

    Love, Stefie

    ReplyDelete
  9. ummm pretty much awesome! love you emily! you are so blessed... i wish i could sing.. why are all my friend such amazing SINGERS!?!?! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog via Anne's, and man oh man, the Lord has really blessed you with an amazing voice! I was so encouraged by the song, gave me chills :)

    ReplyDelete